Thursday, June 16, 2011

City schools full of committed teachers

There seems to be a lot of people who have a lot to say about the New Bedford School Department. If you feel 41 years of experience lends itself to a credible perspective, read on — if not, stop here.

This letter is my reflection on teachers by a teacher. I feel I have the honor of working with an incredible group of men and women who truly care about the children in this city. Despite the loss of our academic coaches, we at Lincoln School do the best we can to collaborate and communicate.

Every day, with the solid support of our principal and assistant principal, we try to meet the complex challenges facing urban schools.

But for me there is a buzz in the air that keeps me energized and looking forward to year 42. At Lincoln we believe everybody can grow. Our leaders remind us every morning to "get smarter."

I am sure our situation is not unique and that there are other schools trying every day to "Make it Happen."

Susan A. Rodman

Grade 1 Teacher

Lincoln Elementary School

No comments: