Tuesday, November 19, 2013

It's not about the numbers, it's about the children/young adults/and parents we work with on a daily basis.

I'm a teacher at New Bedford High School. My name is Christine Adams and I teach Special Education in a substantially separate class and co-teach in three other classes. The classes are going well with the usual ups and downs of working in an urban high school. I've worked hard over the past 10 years and have always loved working at the school (we all have good and bad days and difficult classes). I'm not a perfect human being and I don't pretend to be. My gifts come from my students when they offer a hug, tell me about a new job, get their own apartment, a young girl asks for help when the father walks away. I'm proud of the job I do!! I don't regret a single day of my experience, including being written up for a student's behavior which I believe I was not responsible for. I have no problem speaking up for my rights as a human being, single parent, educator, and most importantly for loving kindness, acceptance, tolerance and PEACE for our students and the teachers who have dedicated their lives to our future-our students!!!! It's not about the numbers it's about the children/young adults/and parents we work with on a daily basis. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. I know how hard you work. New Bedford High is getting a bad wrap. I am heart broken I attended NBHS in the 80's and now to hear all the negativity it just is not right. There are great teachers and students who attend. Hold your head high and know that there are a lot of people rooting for the success of the school. I asked a fellow co-worker what we could do for NBHS. Maybe Lou could answer this for a lot of us what can we do and should do ???

Anonymous said...

I think, we need to rely less on Lou and more on ourselves ... Lou has done and continues to do an admirable job defending our members ... however, his job is to enforce the contract that was agreed upon by the School Committee and the Association. This "agreement", that was bargained in good faith, and (as far as I know) is a legal, binding document, has been ignored and desecrated. As a result, a state of utter chaos has ensued. Now we need to collectively devise a strategy to improve teaching and learning conditions not just at NBHS but within the entire system. This is a Herculean task. As important as it is for us as an Association, it is even more important that we do this for our students... We are teachers ...we know what is morally right and we teach and lead by example. Let's all be brilliant examples for students on Dec. 13th and show them the power of collective problem solving -

Anonymous said...

It's that time again....996-0500

Anonymous said...

It's time to call the mayor again. 1420 Wbsm ffrom 5-6 pm. 508-996-0500.