Friday, March 22, 2013

Innovation Presentations: Renaissance


As I wrote about yesterday, the School Committee held a meeting on Wednesday to hear presentations from those proposing the two innovation schools in New Bedford. Today, I’ll focus on the Renaissance proposal.
I have a bit of a nuanced take on the subject. The proponents of the Renaissance School originally sought to improve low proficiency in English language arts amongst the Gomes School population. The school seeks to do this by introducing arts based thematic curriculum, increased before and after-school programming, expanded art, music, and phys ed programs, and much increased family engagement and outreach that rivals that of local private schools like Nativity Prep.
I think it sounds great (Gomes teachers bear with me) but –

No comments: