Saturday, December 28, 2013

They bash us on the radio and in the newspaper, but when we boycotttheir businesses they are appalled and insulted? Guess theyunderestimate our financial contributions to this city ... Submitted bya member


  • On December 11, 2013, the President of the United Way gave Dr. Durkin a vote of confidence. 
  • On December 16, 2013, Dr. Durkin informed the public that she will replace at least 50% of the New Bedford High School Faculty. Mayor Jon Mitchell and the entire School Committee blessed her decision.
  • On December 18, 2013, Dr. Durkin informed the New Bedford High School Faculty that they will all have to re-apply for their jobs. She told them that at least 50% of the staff would not be hired back. 
  • On December 20, 2013, We made the following statement, "The United Way has the right to their opinion. We have the right not to give money to an organization does not support our students and educators. We encourage our members and friends to do the same."

The following is Mayor Mitchell's reaction to our statement:

"To score a political point, the teachers union leadership saw fit to attack an organization that supports homeless children, veterans and others in our community. 
That the teachers union leadership could do this in the middle of the holiday season only adds insult to injury. What the (union) leadership is trying to do doesn't reflect the sentiments of the many hard-working teachers in the city."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting that his response to pulling OUR money away from ppl who do not support us, is that it is during the holiday season. Mitchell, did you not pink slip the entire teaching staff at NBHS DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON? As teachers, we are helpers by nature. I will remove my donation from UW but I will not keep that money (like a greedy mayor would), I plan to re-donate it to a more appropriate organization or help out individuals that I know personally. You see, Mitchell, it is MY MONEY!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

As a teacher I wouldn't support the United Way, EVER. Never did BEFORE and certainly will NOW push this boycott to OTHER SCHOOL systems as well as all friends and families.

Now let's boycott MORE business and picket MORE places and embarrass the hell out of these businesses as well as bring them to their economic knees.

Anonymous said...

I have refused to support the United Way since the days when they would hijack our staff meeting, show a video and filibuster for half an hour to get my money. I support children with my money in my classroom, buying a never ending stream of supplies. It is VERY appropriate to stop supporting those who bash us! One could say that, by bashing teachers, the mayor and Superintendent are "attacking an organization that supports children" (Mayors words). YES, cancel those payroll deductions!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the UW director could hit up the other signers for some cash. They paid a grand to take out an attack add on teachers. If they have that kind of money, they can donate. As far as teachers helping kids and veterans,please. We help our community more than anyone else. Oh and the homeless? Well some of our teachers may end up there thanks to the mayor. You can tell by the response from the other side, they have bitten off more than they can chew. The national UW may even fire the local director for her stupidity.

Anonymous said...

Let the 90 people who signed the ad "We Support Pia Durkin" contribute money or increase their donation to the United Way.

Businesses and organizations should give serious consideration before signing an endorsement as there may be repercussions to their actions.

United Way, stop crying in your milk, do the deed and pay the consequences!

Anonymous said...

Charitable organizations should know that there is no place for politics in their existence. When you take a political stand there are repercussions. No teacher wants to hurt anyone in our fragile society. What we do want is your support. The general public out there does not believe that this has happened. I heard that many times as I visited relatives during the last few days. We need to take a stand. We need to put faces to this madness.

Anonymous said...

This guy is a joke. I'm only sorry I spent my own money on classroom supplies all these years when told "it's not in the budget". I'm not buying anything out of my pocket again.

Anonymous said...

I give to a lot charities that deserve my support. Too many to count on one hand, I have never given to the UW because like the administration and the mayor, it is too top heavy. What actually trickles down to those who need the help is a low %. It's my EARNED money, I work hard at a 70 hour a week teaching job , I spend my money on supplies and the children. I love my job and my 1000+ children I teach. The mayor is a hypocrite , every lie he spews ,he just digs himself a deeper hole. If he is so concerned about helping the poor-A: create jobs b: stop crime c: give part of his undeserved pay to the Salvation Army.