Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I read the Mayor's thoughts with an open mind and heavy heart ... Submitted to NBEA

Today I read the Mayor's thoughts with an open mind and heavy heart. 

There is no one who wants the facts more than I; my family's livelihood depends upon it. 

The teacher empathy you write about contradicts the actions for wide-spread changes both you and superintendent recommend. You state that you respect us; that we fight the good fight, that our work goes unappreciated, and that we go well beyond the call of duty. That some parents aren't parenting, and that teachers are expected to be surrogate parents, and even the educational professional can't find the fix for student's poor performances.

But yet the turnaround model is the unequivocal solution. That's where I think my issue lays.

They days of when your parents taught are not the days we are teaching in today. Not even close. 

I would like to also contend the Brockton's demographics lend itself to a better success rate than those of New Bedford, but I understand that can be debated.

I would like to challenge your view that teachers do not work in isolation. We do, for the most part. We work in an environment that is so personal and focused, with requirements that are so demanding that without isolation we would finish less that 50 percent that we are required to finish. We try to collaborate, but the truth is putting that collaboration into practice is difficult. 

You cite the successes of Brockton. Why aren't we considering the Brockton model more seriously? That question needs to be addressed by either you or the superintendent, and it needs to be addressed now, and in a way that can be fact checked. Why is our leadership silent on this issue? We just seem committed to shove the turnaround model down everyone's throat.

As for the resources we lack, supplying money out of our own pockets is just the tip of the iceberg. How about fluent direction year over year, teacher friendly curriculum maps, common core books just to start.

Your point about weak central office leadership is acknowledged, and as the navigators of our ship you feel they have not performed well. The teachers have been, and will always be the rudder. This is an important point. We are mandated to follow the direction our leadership Ms. Durkin has certainly proved to be a tough, take no prisoner kind of leader. I get it, another superintendent risk was not an option, but as our students quote, "you're forcing it." 

But just as you state that a replacement of 50 percent of the high school staff is unrealistic, so is moving 40 percent of our student population into proficiency. This target is beyond realistic, it is fantasy, but yet it is the standard that we are being measured and judged against.

My guess is that only 30 - 40 percent of the students we face day in and day out are up to the challenges of a rigorous curriculum, so you can see how the number grates. These numbers may differ depending on the grade level, but this would be my best guess. Everyday I treat it like 100 percent of my students are ready and willing to learn. Sadly, it is not the case. Student behavior and the desire to learn is not there. It takes more than a 10 minute observation to access this.

As far as the data goes, I can't help but feel that data is being manipulated by the superintendent to show the results she wants to achieve, and this doesn't exemplify the characteristic of a democratic society. 

She knows exactly what I'm talking about, and there lays another issue that I have. Trust.

You are absolutely right, honest dialogue "must" occur for our district to move forward, but given where we are, it may involve an independent mediator to convene. Yet another cost.

Education, job security, and economic growth is at the heart of the problem. No easy fix. Lets as a collective group get "frisked" and enter a room with the interest of all stakeholders at stake.

There is your agenda and purpose. Now get it done. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Mayor,

Please come to New Bedford High School and speak to the teacher. You can do this at your discretion. Whenever and wherever you wish! Monday we have professional development! I will forego my PDP's for a sit down with you! You can have my undivided attention. I will listen intently, but then you 'll need to listen to me. I'm going to tell you about the history of NBHS. I'm going to have you visit my building, where windows don't open, doors don't close completely, where water leaks in, where books are old, where broken chairs pile up in a corner of many different classroom, where graffiti goes on without removal, where teachers make so many personal purchases it is unbelievable, where housemasters turn a blind indifferent eye to really problems only to debate who wins the monthly attendance award, where you wouldn't recognize passing period from classroom time in the hall, where teachers are bullied by their administrators and students alike.... But wait, you will also see teaches giving it everything they've got to help students improve their life situations, where students give their all to learning, where good kids do exactly as we ask, where we say good morning and treat each other with the respect we all deserve, students, teachers and the like, where people go out of their way to help each other every in the most dire of circumstances. I am proud to be a member of New Bedford High School and will continue even after I am shown the door. Mr. Mayor, please. We need you!

Anonymous said...

It is so unfortunate that this situation has eroded so many good and genuine teachers’ aspirations of serving their students’ educational needs to the point of despair. I too feel this way. I have taught in NB for over thirty years and was not yet ready to retire, until now. This mayor, school committee and families of NB will realize one day the mistake they made by their lack of support for so many dedicated teachers. If the Mayor has not come to realize the negative impact that his actions may impose on the quality of education for the students in NBPS then maybe he should consider that of his own children. Unfortunately this climate that we now work in is adversely affected our performance even though it is not our intention. The children can sense it and feel it, no matter how hard we may try to hide it.
I intentionally omitted the school administration in experiencing the consequences of their actions unlike the true city stakeholders because I believe the turnover of administration positions that we have already witnessed and will continue to experience under Dr. Durkin is akin to that of carpet baggers. For many, their interest is primarily in their own hopes and dreams of their next job opportunity. You need only look at where many of these new administrators have been and for how long they have stayed at each of their previous positions. New Bedford will not become their home, merely a stepping stone to bigger and better opportunities. I don’ t begrudge them, simply stating what I believe.
I was educated in NBPS, K-12. I went to college and received a degree in education and returned to teach in my city for the past 35 years. I lived in New Bedford for 37 years, before moving to an area town. I will continue to live in this area for hopefully years to come.
I am a STAKEHOLDER in NBPS.
I know I have more to offer my students but in this current climate, I feel it is time to go.