Saturday, November 9, 2013

Teachers are scared, if they speak up they lose their jobs. I'm tired of being scared....submitted by a member

grew up wishing I were a New Bedford High School Whaler. At 22 I became one. Today, 4 years later, I fear what that means now. Teachers are degraded, students run the halls, kids are held unaccountable, teachers are held accountable for students being lazy and belligerent and teachers are being assaulted. I used to tell my mom "mommy I wanna be a whaler!" Now I ask "Ma, why did you let me become a whaler?" I go to work every day wondering if this is the day all hell breaks loose. Teenagers are running a school and nobody who's in charge seems to be concerned about it. Teachers are scared, if they speak up they lose their jobs. I'm tired of being scared. Fire me if you have to but if I go down I'm going down swinging and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me from protecting myself and who I am. I have a family to come home to as does every other adult on the staff. Do right by us or get out of New Bedford because we don't need you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weren't we all College and Career Ready when we became teachers? Did we suddenly stop learning and improving? No, we have become better at our work! How foolish it is to label veteran teachers as NI...or worse!

Dr. Pia Durkin should be replaced. She will leave nothing of value here. Deeply committed teachers are breaking down. Dr. Durkin will leave only tears, fears, and ruined careers.